Some of you may have noticed something wrong with the Web yesterday. I noticed it when I was unable to connect to Typepad. I went to Technorati to look for news of an outage, but Technorati was out too. Then I googled and discovered that Netflix was down as well. A-ha! What do these websites have in common? They originate from San Franciso. A quick visit to SFGate confirmed that a power outage downtown was affecting, among other things, “the world’s finest data center,” which hosts those websites along with Craigslist and others. (And yes, the data center is supposed to have back-up power—they will have some ‘splainin’ to do.)
The power outage was intermittent, so some people in the affected area were able to get onto SFGate, and an amusing conversation ensued in the comments section. Here are some highlights (and lowlights!):
- A coworker said he saw an explosion in front of the JPMorgan building on Market between Second and First streets, where I had just seen a crew filming a “Fruit of the Loom” commercial. Connection?
- I work just around the corner from the area where Fruit of the Loom is being filmed. Rumors say the explosion occured here. If that is the case, then Hanes underware is not as strong as advertised 😛
- “That would debunk the commerical connection” On the contrary! I, am an upstanding member of the Fruit of the Loom model team, was the victim of a heinous crime, someone did not like my fruity costume!
- Update: Fruit-eating zombies have overrun rescue stations! Reports are chaotic! All citizens are advised to stay in their homes! Do not panic! Do not report to rescue stations! Trust no one! Guard your underwear! 10% off all womens shoes and accessories this weekend only! Do not panic! Do not PANIC!
- Oh no, Craigslist is down! Now how will people rant about jerks who cut them off in traffic or find one-night-stands?!
- Craigslist? One NIGHT stands? Don’t you mean one-hour stands?
- I work near 525 Market Street and I saw BLACK smoke pouring out from the fountain area by Chipotle Grill. Each time the lights went out black smoke came pouring out of that Fountion area. Also I was told by coworkers that black smoke was pouring out of the vents in the alley connected to 525 Market.
- smoke emanating from Chipotle: is this really uncommon ?
- The bad news: some people lost a lot of work when their systems went down. The good news? My boss lost the entire Powerpoint presentation he was working on for tomorrow’s staff meeting! Thank you PG&E!
- MN and SW should stop reading this and get back to work.
- I was walking by the Fruits on Mission street. The green and purple grapes were all cool. The Apple’s hands were busy hidden within his Apple. It was the leafy green foliage that looked suspicious; he wad fidgety, nervous, appeared paranoid. A plant without a purpose. Not even a fruit. Beware.
- Ok. I just read on another website that PG&E says it was a blown manhole on Mission.
- flames shooting out of a “manhole” on mission st? what’s the big deal…it happens all the time. hose that hottie down and get back to work folks.
Hey, it’s San Francisco. You can’t throw in giant fruits and flaming manholes without attracting some comments!