I got this meme from Wil at Moyen Âge (who still hasn’t answered my question about whether he has six fingers on his right hand). The instructions are simple: List 5 favourite movies and 5 “guilty pleasures,” with explanations.
- Love and Pain and the Whole Damn Thing: A little known film about an awkward young America man who travels to Spain and meets and awkward older English woman and, well, let’s just say they bring out the best in each other. Love, love, love it.
- Maurice: A brilliant adaptation of the novel by E.M. Forster about a young English man discovering his sexuality and seeking happiness in an intolerant world. Again, love love love it.
- Lost in Translation: A quirky but thoughtful little movie that I just can’t get enough of.
- Crossing Delancey: Another quirky but thoughtful romance that I can’t get enough of. It just came out on DVD, much to my delight.
- Billy Elliot: Hilarious, uplifting, and heartwarming. It reminds us what beautiful things parents can do for their children.
- G.I. Jane: Somehow, despite being a pacifist, I really enjoy seeing girls kick butt. I’d put Xena on the list too if she wasn’t strictly TV. Lara Croft gets an honourable mention.
- Twister: Not a stellar effort, but as a hurricane survivor I’m pathologically drawn to seeing people get terrorized by high winds. Long story. I don’t actually own this movie but it plays frequently on TV.
- Persuasion(1995): This is a guilty pleasure only because it is pure romance. Bonus: Ciaran Hinds.
- Jane Eyre(1997): Ditto, with more Ciaran.
- Rebecca(1997): Again ditto, with Charles Dance.
I suppose I cheated a bit with those last three but I couldn’t think of any truly cheesy movies that I enjoy. Anyone else want to play?